Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Extreme Makeover Eat Your Heart Out!

Valentina Before...

If you were following the blog before Christmas you will perhaps remember a girl named Valentina from Zau orphanage who had a mouth full of rotten teeth. My heart broke for her as I heard how the other kids were so mean to her because of how bad her teeth looked. For years all she’s wanted is a new smile and I am happy to announce that last week her dream came true. It wasn’t a simple process but after 3 long months of weekly dentist visits she finally has a new smile she can be proud of!

Valentina After...

I can’t even put into words how excited she was when she saw her new teeth for the first time. When the dentist got them all cleaned off and brought her to look at them in the mirror I am not sure she really believed it was her. She was so delighted. She nearly knocked me over with her enthusiasm as she hugged and kissed me. She was looking at herself, then looking at me and laughing like I’ve never seen her laugh before. Each time she laughed I noticed she put her hand up in front of her mouth. As I moved her hand away from her mouth I told her that she could be proud of her new smile and she didn’t have to hide it behind her hand anymore when she laughed. She just looked at me and giggled as she said, “I know Fiona, I’m just used to doing that so nobody can see my teeth.” Bless her she was just so excited. The dentist was laughing too, I’m not sure he’d ever seen someone that happy with his work before!


It really was an amazing moment, a true transformation. She is like a different girl, so happy, so thankful and so on her behalf I would like to say a HUGE thank you to all of you who helped make this happen! You have changed a girl’s life by giving her a smile and I just pray that one day God will change her heart as only He can.

No comments: